Amazon just announced a brand new iPad app for their famous audible.com audiobook subscription service. Audible allows you to listen to beautifully narrated audiobooks instead of reading them page by page. Although this requires a costly monthly subscription plan, many people adopted to this new method of hearing stories and novels. Audible already had an iPhone app for all their users which will also receive a major redesign along with brand new features. Their iPad app was a demand from the consumer community who were already using Audible’s service on their iPad using the iPhone app.
“More than 20 percent of Audible customers already use Audible’s iPhone app on the iPad. More than 20 percent of Audible customers already use Audible’s iPhone app on the iPad.” – Ajay Arora, VP Mobile Applications for Audible.
Their iPad version takes full advantage of the gorgeous retina display by displaying a list of all your audiobooks on the home screen. You can start listening to them right from where you left off using Amazon’s cloud service. Another cool improvement is the addition of a new feature called WhisperSync for Voice which lets you switch between reading and listening mode in a an effortless way. One thing that Amazon decided is to go with its own cloud services rather than taking advantage of iCloud. We think it’s pretty fair since they are a huge cloud investor themselves. In case you are new to Audiobooks for Audible then you can sign up for a monthly subscription using your existing Amazon account. After using their iPad app for about 10 minutes or so we were very pleased with the layout and overall functionality. Below is a list of complete features for their iPhone as well as iPad app.
- Transfer books to your device over Wi-Fi
- Chapter navigation, bookmarking, sleep mode, variable narration speed, button-free mode
- Multitasking for background downloading and listening
- Earn badges and keep track of your listening habits
- NEW! Switch between reading and listening with Whispersync for Voice (compatible Kindle app or device required)
- Connect to Facebook and Twitter to let your friends know what you’re listening to
- Get insider information about author events and more, with the Audible Newsfeed